Pipe Workspace in the Symmetry Platform
Rigorous dynamic and steady-state multiphase modeling for complex pipe networks
Symmetry is a process software platform that empowers all aspects of your models from reservoir to product distribution.
The Symmetry platform uniquely integrates the modeling of fields, pipe networks, process plants and flare systems, providing an unprecedented level of collaboration and cooperation allowing teams to seamlessly transfer knowledge and expertise, maximizing the total value of the asset.
The Pipe workspace in the Symmetry platform provides for the rigorous modeling of multiphase pipe networks with model complexity that may vary from a simple straight pipeline to highly looped networks. Pipe also allows users to run their analysis in steady state (e.g. field development planning, network debottlenecking, flow assurance analysis, etc.) as well as in transient conditions (liquid loading, pigging scheduling, slugging, etc.).
Workspace tailored for Pipe Network applications:
- Oil and gas gathering networks solved with a network solver
- Dedicated Pipe ribbon and stencil
- Line list: easy visualization, analysis and bulk editing
- Model Audit: guides user to help properly specify the pipe network
- Flow Path Viewer to view profiles for “legs” of connected pipes
- Insert pigs directly in the pipeline or through the pig launcher (i.e. mixer) in the dynamic model
- Track pig location and velocity throughout the gathering system/network
- Predict liquid holdup and pressure loss as pig proceeds down the pipe and sweeps liquid ahead
- Pig one pipe or multiple pipes—there's no limit to the number of pipes in a network that can be pigged
- Analyze different control mechanisms to mitigate large liquid slugs leaving the pipeline into the downstream slug catcher
- Use Scheduler block to develop a pigging schedule for pipelines at regular intervals
- Calculate liquid holdups and slugs induced by elevation/terrain changes in pipelines—important for configurations such as risers
- Calculate slugging based on flowrate and operational conditions
- Monitor the formation and burping of liquid slugs in pipelines
- Evaluate slug catchers based on liquid slugs/holdup instead of steady state values
- Generalized multiphase mechanistic models (Petalas, Oliemans, etc.)
- Available superior mechanistic flow models such as OLGAS 2 and 3 phase
- Traditional empirical methods (Beggs and Brill, Lockhart & Martinelli)
- Rigorous Hydrate formation estimation with or without inhibitors
- Wax formation
- Erosional Velocity
- Solid formation
- Component tracking
- Extensive list of physical and transport properties
- Access to comprehensive set of productivity tools such as case studies, custom calculations in process calculators and flexible plotting of virtually any variable
Well performance can be modeled using the Deliverability option available in the Source and the Stream - it allows you to input a relationship between well flowing pressure and well production rate.
- Tabular data (Q vs P)
- Linear equations
- Fetkovich equation
- Vogel equation
Pipe Network Creation:
- Build a network using terrain details based on digital elevation models (e.g. DEM files)
- Ability to import pipe networks from shapefiles
- Resolve inconsistencies and connectivity issues using the network connection tool
The Symmetry platform contains a wide variety of fluid characterization methods for systems ranging from heavy oil to associated liquids produced with gas. Simulations may use a consistent slate of components regardless of the number of different fluids when using PIONA based characterizations. These types of fluids track the molecular structure of the different sources thus allowing for consistent property estimation when material is blended.
The data required to define a fluid may be as detailed as an extended Cn analysis combined with other information such as viscosity or density data. There are also options to characterize fluids with a reduced set of properties such as specific gravity, gas oil ratio and water cut.
The Symmetry platform has a consistent property package and fluid characterization that can be used throughout the simulator in all of the workspaces with the steady state and dynamic engines and as well as a tailored workspace that can be used when required.
Learn more about the Symmetry platform.
Francisco Da Silva M.Sc. P.Eng., Midstream Simulation Engineer, VMG Calgary